24 May 2010

Week One

I'm sitting down with the rest of the ladies in this house to watch the Bachelorette. We even convinced Fielding to join us! I can tell you, this is a fun show to watch with friends and laugh at with each other.

I'm one week into my internship, and it's already been both good and stressful. We've worked out a little routine and Jess and I get up to drink our coffee and watch the news every morning. We were watching the Today show the other day and in tears over a reunion over a man and the gorilla he raised. I guess that's one sign that you're tired and stressed!

It’s interesting to me how simultaneously disorienting and orienting a week can be. I feel both reassured and lost. Thankfully, the lostness is largely physical. The task of discovering my way around not only one large hospital but also two others is daunting. On the other hand, I feel much more clarity regarding my tasks and purposes this summer. While I do not feel like an expert by any mean, I do think I understand what is going on. I am reassured that I can to do this. Interestingly enough, an event only indirectly connected to the internship itself has helped with this. I don’t like to drive and avoid the highways in Abilene, because they scare me. Here I am in Houston, where the feeder roads have six lanes, and I’m driving. My success in driving, trivial as it is, has led me to realize that I often place artificial limitations on myself. To be successful in this internship, and in life in general, I must recognize the limitations that I invent for myself. My introversion and lack of confidence hold me back as I let these control me and limit my ministry to others. Becoming more confident in driving helped me to realize this.

I have made several visits last week and today, shadowing Paul. He's been showing us the ropes and providing us with an example to follow. I was going to make a visit on my own today, but when we got to the patient's room, they had been moved. Oh well, I suppose I'll strike out on my own tomorrow instead.

The Frombergs are back in town and we're glad to be able to spend some time with them. Of course, we're also glad that they brought us biscotti. And that Flossie grilled a delicious leg of lamb for dinner this evening.

I also attended a beautiful wedding this weekend. Actually, I was in it. One of my best friends, Stacie, was married to a wonderful guy on Saturday. Stacie was a beautiful bride, and the wedding was very simple and lovely. She was the first of our group of friends to get married, but I suppose we're entering that stage of our lives. Crazy! By the way, I cut the groom's cake at the reception and let me tell you, my pieces were perfect.

I'll try to update this space more often from here on out. I'm hoping to start posting more frequently, though the posts may be shorter blurbs. That will be easier to read anyway, right?

2 comments:

mom said...

Leg of lamb! Wow, tell Flossie thanks for raising your mealtime expectations!

Rebekah said...

Yep! And we had steak for dinner tonight! We are certainly being treated well down here.