23 May 2010

"See you in another life, brotha."

I feel like this particular quote of LOST's Desmond says a lot about the entire show itself. This show, probably my favourite show, ended earlier this evening. The series finale was very LOSTesque - confusing, intriguing and beautiful. I have always loved the wonderful character development of this show. I feel this is something that sets LOST apart from many of the other shows out there today. The finale once again highlighted the importance of relationships and self-discovery.

What am I still confused about? Lots of things. What is the light at the center of the island? Whatever happened to Walt and why had he seemed so important? What's the meaning behind those now-famous numbers? I suppose part of the point is that these things are not the important things. It was, ultimately, a show about redemption. The characters' lostness on the island reflected their inward spiritual and emotional lostness. I do think that this message is a powerful one.

Nevertheless, I was confused about some of the more important things as well. As far as I could tell, the island was some sort of purgatory. However, I was unclear on when everyone died, and what that was all about. Hopefully I'll get some of these answers eventually.

I'll get a real post up soon, for those of you who actually want to know about what I'm doing this summer. Believe it or not, I do understand that the world does not revolve around LOST.

0 comments: