03 June 2010

Miscommunication Humour

This weekend I'll update everyone on my last week or so in Houston. For now, however, I'll share a short little anecdote that illustrates the problems of miscommunication.

I went in to visit a patient this week who wasn't feeling well at all. She was somewhat incoherent and had a difficult time understanding me, even though I talked slowly and loudly. After she told me of her woes, I asked if she would like me to pray. When I said this she froze.

"What did you say?" she asked, with an air of incredulity. I repeated myself, as clearly as possible.

"Oh. Yes, please." She responded. She paused a moment and then let me know, "I thought you said you were gay."

At this, her husband burst out laughing and continued chuckling through the rest of our visit. At least I made someone's day just a little brighter.

1 comments:

mom said...

That's my girl, spreading gaiety wherever you go.